This blog...

...was initially for pieces done on a computer, but has since become a free-for-all. Here you'll find process work (digital and otherwise), sketch pages and studies, sometimes with commentary.

You can see the rest of my work here.

Remember kids : if you can't make pretty designs, at least make pretty lines!

-Paul

Friday, August 24, 2012

Scarab Hulk

The Darksiders II enemy I'm most proud to have been involved with was the Scarab Hulk.  The final asset turned out awesome -- sculpt, texture, animations, sound -- everything.



I wish I could say this was my kneejerk reaction, but it really was a team effort.  [Fun fact : This was the last thing I did for Vigil before leaving for Blizzard, hence the doodle at the lower right.]



I began with thumbnails, natch...











...then was told, "It's a biped."  Oh.





The direction then became something like "Combo the body of 8 with the back of 7." yielding stuff like this.



But then we needed a better head.  #17 was the winner.  Not too shabby for a Frankenstein!



Bonus : initial drawings for "The Scarab Mound", a spawn point for the little ones.



4 comments:

the wandering fork said...

Loving these studies!

Wladimir Matos Reyes said...

Wow thats a lot of good thumbnails, love to see how this developed! it must feel really good to see a concept you put so much into make it into the game, pretty sweet!

Sirscribblesalot said...

I don't know if I've ever said this before, but you are and always will be my favorite Concept Artist! Just so much great advice, great ideas, I just....Awesome is a vast understatement. :)

Paul Richards said...

Thanks, Sirscribblesalot (and everyone else who's made nice comments on these Darksiders II posts). With two years of separation it's easy to see the positives, but I can also remember how cranky I got. (My art director can attest to that!)